Large and Important, French, Gilt-Bronze Chan
Of cartouche outline, with glass baluster shaft with acanthus scroll branches of light and spires, hung with large cut glass plaques, facetted drops and rosettes, terminated with a facetted glass ball. Professionally wired for electricity.
Designed by George Hoentschel in partnership with Mewes and Davis. Diamond magnate Sir Julius Wernher, who bought Luton Hoo as his country residence in 1902, commissioned the Parisian decorator George Hoentschel to redesign the Robert Adam interiors in the Edwardian Belle Epoque style.
This impressive chandelier epitomises the so-called ‘French Touch’ the Wernher's wished to create for their estate at Luton Hoo. Hoentschel’s acclaimed luxurious style in partnership with the architects Mewès and Davis is embodied in the opulent scale and quality of the chandelier. A drawing from the Luton Hoo archive of the chandeliers that formerly hung in the Dining Room at Luton Hoo designed by Charles Mewès in 1906 in the French 18th century style display similarities in both the design and the fine quality bronze casting hung with crystal drops.
The chandelier in both design and manufacture reflects the design capabilities of Mewès and Davis whose grand design project at Luton Hoo recreated the decoration of the Ancien Régime and the superior craftsmanship of the firm of Maison Leys under the direction of George Hoentschel.