A late 17th century walnut marquetry clock
James Tudman, London. overhanging cornice on 3/4 ebonised spiral twisted columns, the long door with panels of bold marquetry depicting urns and flowers, centred by a lenticle (now with mirrored plate), the 11 inch square brass dial with bold winged cherubs head spandrels interspersed with foliate engraving, the Roman and Arabic chapter ring signed between V and VII, with narrow minutes, the centre (now polished) with subsidiary seconds, ringed winding squares and date aperture and engraved to the centre with a rose, the movement with five knopped and finned pillars, anchor escapement and inside countwheel strike on a bell. Case associated. Together with a pendulum (rod and bob detached), a crank winding key, a door key, and a pair of period brass weights. 2.05m (6ft 9ins) high.
James Tudman apparently was not in the clockmaker's company, but in 1713 he was described as a "clockmaker of Southwark" when his son Samuel was apprenticed to a barber surgeon.